Aug 8, 2014Using Lastpass for Easy Citati...
How to automate social media posts with IFTTT (If This, Then That)
Most of you are all very busy with building your businesses and creating awesome social media content across all sorts of social channels and your website. If you’re like most social media users, you probably spend too much time manually sharing those posts across your network.
Don’t you wish you could automate some of the tedious social media tasks that you do manually? Don’t you wish that simple stuff like sharing blog posts or posting that Facebook check-in to Twitter or automatically posting Instagram pics to FB? Well, some of these simple tasks can easily be done by simply “connecting” your Facebook to twitter or maybe your Instagram pics to auto post to Facebook or Flickr or wherever you decide to send your content. The problem with going directly from service to service is that you have virtually no customization in between services. Let’s take a closer look at an Instagram picture that I want to upload. This is where IFTTT comes in.
Let’s say that I have a picture that I posted to Instagram and I want to have it auto post to my Flickr page and Facebook. Lets look at 2 different examples of seamlessly sharing the picture.
- Instagram to Flickr and/or Facebook- I first need to connect my Instagram account to my Flickr and Facebook pages within the Instagram app. Now whenever I post a pic to Instagram, It will upload that picture to my Flickr page and to my Facebook page (as far as I know, you can’t seamlessly post Instagram pics to your FB business page. You can only share to your personal page direclty from the app.) with the exact same picture name and description that I uploaded to Instagram. It’s a very static post that copies directly from Instagram. This works just fine except that I don’t like that I have to have the same EXACT title and description. What if I want to add a link to my website with each post or maybe ad some tags or a different description for Facebook or something?
- Instagram to IFTTT to Flickr – I need to activate both my Instagram channel and Flickr channel within IFTTT. What I like about IFTTT is that I can create a custom picture title and/or description within the post. This allows me to add links or ask a question or some other call to action instead of posting some static duplicate pic name and description.
IFTTT also integrates with bit.ly shortened links so you don’t ever have to shorten any of your own links and you can now track click analytics on any of those links (only 30 day analytics are currently available for free).
I could spend all day explaining how this could work with a number of “recipes” but instead, I think I will just show you a few quick recipes that we use here at Ethical SEO Consulting ( some of these are personal recipes) to make our social sharing a lot easier.
- Instagram pics to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Dropbox. Share 1 pic and it goes to sevral networks and Evernote so you have blog content for a post later.
- Google+ post feed to Twitter. I like to send all of my social network feeds into Twitter cause it’s the standard for real time content.
- Pull feeds from some of my favorite favorite blogs and pull them into Evernote for later reading
- Bit.ly links to Google Drive spreadsheet.
- YouTube or Vimeo uploads automatically share on my business FB page.
- SoundCloud uploads to FB & Twitter.
I could go on a for a while but I am going to let your imagination run with this.
Don’t hesitate to tweet at us with cool and useful recipes that you’ve come up with.